Back to Mike's Reel Repair Main Page Mike's Reel Repair
Fishing forum to discuss everything relating to fishing and fishing gear.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Shop for PartsOrder Parts   Schematics
 RegisterRegister

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garcia Mitchell 300

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cntrl
alevin
alevin

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Garcia Mitchell 300 Reply with quote

In need of some help.
The bail won't close while reeling in, the bail spring seems alright so I was going to do a clean and lube on it before ordering a new spring, anyone have an idea of how to get the spindle (81006) off the axel (81007)?

I don't see any c clip or nut to get it off.
mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
To get the spool axle off the spindel, normally one would just push the button in the top of the axle to disengage it. Sometimes these parts get rusted together it seems.
You can try a bit of penetrating oil and let it sit for awhile, or try some heat....not too much or you'll melt the base.
As for the bail not closing, it could be that the bail itself has a bend in it. Very common among spinning reels. With the bail wire atatched at the line pickup side, and the opposite side loose, make sure the bail wire just 'sits' there, line right up with the screw hole. If it doesn't and you need to apply any pressure to it, you'll need to bend the wire to get it just right. It can take some playing around with but makes a world of difference.
Another item to look for is if the trip spring is still there, functioning, and if so, is the baffle plate making contact with the trip. (silver plate inside rotor)

Mike

www.mikesreelrepair.com
Cntrl
alevin
alevin

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike, never realized that was a button. Rolling Eyes
Now I can disassemble it clean it and lube it.
This was my grandfathers reel and I would hate to not be able to use it any more. He got it new in what had to be the early 70's and I don't think it has ever been serviced, so I'll start with a cleaning and go from there.

As for the bail, the springs seem ok, I'm thinking they just need to be cleaned it just seemed kinda gummy and stiff.
mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it'll come apart with using the hammer d'oh! lol
keep a close watch on the tiny spacers under the crown gear inside the gear case and the thin spacers under the rotor. They place the crown and rotor gears just so and if missed, that reel will be louder than a train!

Good luck in your rebuild!

Mike

www.mikesreelrepair.com
Cntrl
alevin
alevin

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike wrote:
Glad to hear it'll come apart with using the hammer d'oh! lol
keep a close watch on the tiny spacers under the crown gear inside the gear case and the thin spacers under the rotor. They place the crown and rotor gears just so and if missed, that reel will be louder than a train!

Good luck in your rebuild!

Mike

Actually opened up just pushing the button on the end of the spindle.
Thanks for the tip on the spacers, I have the breakdown printed and will have to sit pieces aside in order to be able to put it back together. Very Happy
Sponsor
201374_Shop at BoatingSavings.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mike's Reel Repair Forum Index -> Repairs All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: